London Stereoscopic and Photographic Co. Ltd.
d. 19th Century
The London Stereoscopic Company was founded in 1854 by George S. Nottage, and was still in business in 1908. It was successful in all branches of photography, but specialised in the mass production of stereoscopic photographs. The firm's output was vast; there were over 100,000 stereo photographs listed in its 1858 catalogue. The company was known by several slightly different names. In 1863 it is referred to as the London Stereoscopic and Photographic Co. and C. de V. Institute. From 1864 it was known as the London Stereoscopic and Photographic Co. Ltd. The firm occupied a variety of premises on Oxford Street, Regent Street, Cheapside and Bow Churchyard. Its archive is now held by Getty Images.