Lee Fritz Randolph
Lee Randolph is noted for his Impressionist landscapes and portraits. He was born in 1880 in Ravenna, Ohio. He started his art training at Stevenson Art School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and later studied under Frank Duvenek and Thomas Noble at the Cincinnati Art Academy. In New York City Randolph attended the Art Students League where Kenny Cox and George Bridgeman were his instructors. He traveled to Europe for ten years of art study, spending time in Paris, France, and Rome, Italy. In Paris he studied at Academie Julian under the instruction of Jean Paul Laurens and at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts under Bonnat and Marson. Randolph relocated to California in 1913 where he stayed briefly in the Monterey area before settling in San Francisco. He became a member of the Bohemian Club and the California Society of Etchers. In the winter 1915 he taught at University of California, Berkeley, and in 1917 he began a twenty-five year position as director of the California School of Fine Arts. In 1915 he received a bronze medal at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco. He exhibited at the Del Monte Art Gallery (1916), the Oakland Art Gallery (1916), the Paris Salon (1935), and the San Francisco Art Association (1916). He spent most of his later years in the Carmel area where he was an active member of the Carmel Art Association. He died in Salinas, California in 1956.