25 1/8 in. x 30 in. (63.82 cm x 76.2 cm)
William Wendt, American, (1865–1946)
Object Type: Paintings
Creation Place: North America, United States, California
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Credit Line: Gift of Mills Club of Southern California, Conservation treatment sponsored by De Ru’s Fine Arts, Bellflower, California
Accession Number: 1925.53
William Wendt created celebrated landscape paintings of Southern California vistas. His landscapes were especially known for rich greens and browns. Southern California served as a perfect location for depicting the bright colors, atmospheric conditions, and shimmering light that were characteristic of Impressionism. Wendt was not a studio painter, but worked outside en plein air and explored the unique native landscape, often going into the unsettled wilderness to paint. One of the most important figures in early Los Angeles painting, Wendt was considered a bold stylist and is known for his paintings of California in the springtime.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Paintings from the Mills College Art Gallery Collection , 9/20/1970 - 10/11/1970
- California Paintings 1910-1940: Selections from the Mills College Art Museum Mills College Art Museum , 8/25/2003 - 3/6/2003
- Image Dimensions: 25 1/8 x 30 in. (638.18 x 762 mm)
- Sheet Dimensions: 25 1/8 in. x 30 in. (63.82 cm x 76.2 cm)
- Frame Dimensions: 33 in. x 37 7/8 in. (83.82 cm x 96.2 cm)
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BN".