14 in. x 11 in. (35.56 cm x 27.94 cm)
Imogen Cunningham, American, (1883–1976)
Magnolia Blossom is perhaps Cunningham’s most well-known botanical image. The closely cropped flower fills the entire frame. The pistils and stamens are in sharp focus and the petals become a transfixing study of light, shadow, and translucence. It is an unsentimental and, for its time, entirely new approach to familiar and easily-romanticized subject matter.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- California Photography: Selections from the Permanent Collection at Mills Mills College Art Museum , 11/5/1998 - 12/23/1998
- A Portrait of Mills: Photographs by Imogen Cunningham Mills College Art Museum , 1/17/2006 - 3/12/2006
- In Focus: Group f/64 and the Bay Area Mills College Art Museum , 12/2/2015 - 5/29/2016
- Image Dimensions: 12 1/4 in. x 9 in. (31.12 cm x 22.86 cm)
- Mat Dimensions: 24 in. x 20 in. (60.96 cm x 50.8 cm)
- Sheet Dimensions: 14 x 11 in. (355.6 x 279.4 mm)
This object has the following bibliographic references:
- Stephanie Hanor, ed. In Focus: Group f/64 and the Bay Area . In Focus: Group f/64 and the Bay Area Mills College Art Museum. Oakland, CA, 2016
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Oakland Artists" and [Objects]Object Type is "Photography and Video" and [Objects]Display Artist is "Imogen Cunningham".