Bay Area Artists
|Showing 1 of 1||
Thirty-Eight Double Dee from portfolio 10 x 10: Ten Women/Ten Prints1995
22 in. x 22 in. (55.88 cm x 55.88 cm)
Mildred Howard, American, b. 1945
Thirty-Eight Double Dee illustrates the importance of feminism and the power and fragility held within a feminine body. The gauzy white bra is dainty and feminine, with soft floral embroidery. This lies in extreme juxtaposition to the boxy, protective egg carton, which on the outside appears to be strong but is filled with delicate eggs. Howard’s work asks the viewer to learn more about the politics of how Black female bodies are typically represented.
--Emma Sugarbaker, December 2019
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- State of Convergence Mills College Art Museum , 1/22/2020 - 2/23/2020
- Unseen: The Hidden Labor of Women Mills College Art Museum , 1/22/2022 - 3/13/2022
- Image Dimensions: 21 in. x 21 1/2 in. (53.34 cm x 54.61 cm)
- Sheet Dimensions: 22 x 22 in. (55.88 x 55.88 cm)
This object has the following bibliographic references:
- Stephanie Hanor, ed. State of Convergence. State of Convergence Mills College Art Museum. Oakland, CA, 2020
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Bay Area Artists" and [Objects]Country is "United States" and [Objects]Object Type is "Works on paper" and [Objects]Display Artist is "Mildred Howard" and [Objects]Period is "20th Century".