Kawamura Kitaro was the second son of Kawamura Usaburo. He trained under Kawamura Seizan and Kitaoji Rosanjin, and opened a kiln in Gojozaka. In 1920, he formed the ceramic arts group Akatsuchi (‘red clay’) together with Kusube Yaichi, Yagi Isso, and Kawai Einosuke. In 1950, he set out to find a new quality of soil, taking his second son, Kawamura Matajiro, to Sanage, Mikawa in Aichi Prefecture, where he established a new kiln. He created new works using soil from the area, and in his later years he inherited Kitaojiro Sanjin’s climbing kiln (in Yokohama), which he remodeled as Kichuyo. He made tableware, vases, and tea ware.